Participate in a Study from June to September Located in Echo Park, LA, run by PARC Inc., Penn State University and Carnegie Mellon University Funded by the National Science Foundation. In partnership with hOurworld & St. Barnabas Senior Services.
We are a team of non-local scientists developing a new peer-to-peer matching service, NeighborGenie, to work with hOurworld timebanking, which will recommend people to each other based on convenience, choosing the people best placed to help out.
No more waiting around for someone to see your offer or request; we recommend providers to requestors automatically.
We are conducting a field evaluation focused on finding assistance for seniors aging in place who need help with simple transportation-centered tasks (rides and deliveries). However...
Anyone can use NeighborGenie for ride and delivery offers and requests in the timebank. But science shows that volunteering makes you happier, healthier and longer lived. So why not enjoy these benefits while helping local seniors?
As well as installing the NeighborGenie app, timebankers who participate will download the Aware app for iPhone or Android to build a travel prediction profile. This will allow you to be recommended if you will be in the right place at the right time to offer help when needed. For example, if someone needs dry cleaning picked up, the one who regularly goes nearest the dry cleaner and the requestor’s home would be offered this task.
If interested in in participating you must:
- Be 18 years or older and local to or near to Echo Park
- Be willing to submit to a free background check. We want everyone to stay safe.
- Have access to a vehicle (can be a bicycle or motorbike) so you can get around the neighborhood to provide assistance to seniors with simple tasks and errands if need be.
- Have a fairly recent model smartphone; For Android at least 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich (released in year 2011). For iPhone, it must be an iPhone 5 model or up, with at least iOS 8. This is required so you can run the app.
- Spanish, Mandarin, or Tagalog speaking skills welcomed but non-essential.
Please contact: Victoria Bellotti firstname.lastname@example.org - Put NeighborGenie Study in your subject line, please. https://tinyurl.com/y7fd55sm